Tuesday, August 7, 2012

For my friends that are sick and wounded

Isn't that just the way.  As  I sat in my room thinkng of all of my own struggles and issues and problems  I see a post on my FB page from a beautful woman that I love very much about some health issues.
I wanted to be there to support and love her.  I wanted to pray with her.  I wanted to talk to her and let her know that God would help her and loved her so very much.  I wanted to help her pretend that her life was ok.
You see she and I have that same problem. When things go bad, very bad, it is common for us to put that happy face on and believe with all of our hearts (and say with our mouth to everyone else).  It's not really that big of a deal.  God's got this.
The truth is, that God does have it.  That we are all incredibly and wonderfully made and that even those of us who have illnesses that have somewhat taken over our lives, still have to consider ourselves lucky that we were given a life chosen by God.
Really, who has a life that doesn't have issues?  Who has a life that turned out exactly the way that they wanted it to?  And if they have that life, how much energy and effort goes into trying to keep it at all costs? 
I have so many amazing, Godly, wonderful people in my life that are sick.  People that were sick before I was born and people that are sick and 20 years younger than I am.  Men and women who have strong faith, strong people that love them, and a God that will only give them what they can take.
We say we can't take much more, we say that if one more awful thing happens in this life or in the world that we just won't be able to manage.
We are right.  If we try to do it alone.
I have watched women and men that I love struggle to breathe, to talk, to sit up, to care for themselves and their families.  I have watched them in pain, I have watched the emotions of their illnesses stretch across their faces and reveal more about their faith than they even realize.
I have prayed for each of them knowing that God gave this to them to bare, because they could.  He built them strong enough to do it.  And I am astounded by the strength that He gave them, the humility that they have in their struggles, and the lack of complaints or anger.
Each of us has our cross to bare, literally, and of course I identify with my friends that are chronically ill because it's something that we have in common.  I see myself in them, but it also humbles me to watch them handle horrible prognosis' with grace, compassion, and faith.
It's messy being a human being. Those feelings of anger and pain and desperation that we fight so hard eventually come out and take us by surprise if we aren't expressing them. If we don't ask for help.  That isn't just directed at my sick friends. :)
Life is a short thing, my advice is simple, get right with God, love as much as you can, be true and open with your feelings and let people help you.
I wrote this to myself as much as to anyone else.
This life is a battle, to some a more obvious one than others.  Time to take sides and fight for what's right.  The war is already won and God awaits the wounded in heaven.  That is where real life resides.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment