Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Blessed Life

Today was the 3 year anniversary of me getting a second chance at life.  On this day 3 years ago I was getting a new kidney and pancreas through transplant.  I was 37 years old and for some reason I was not afraid at all.
Somehow I knew that the surgery was going to change my life forever.  And it did.  As always, God had a plan for my life that I knew nothing about and it was an amazing thing. Three years after the fact I remember less about the hospital and the pain killers that were so strong that I would fall asleep in the middle of conversations.  I remember less about not being able to eat because my new meds made me sick and that my anemia made me depressed for weeks.  I remember less and less about the pain and the suffering that I went through and I remember more and more the person that it turned me into.
You see, in the year 2010 not only did this tranplant save my life, it gave me marriage to the love of my life, a son that I never expected to have as a bonus love in my life, a new home for our family and the truth and love of God.
God has given me so much in the last 3 years to rejoice over I can't count the blessings. 
Of course, being chronically ill isn't all hearts and roses, I have had several hospitalizations with infections, I have had to stay home from work and take IV meds through a picc line for a month, I have had complications, I have had pain, I've had to withdraw from school with only 3 classes left so that I can have surgery.  That same surgery was supposed to happen twice before and didn't because of previously mentioned infections, I have struggled.  I have been frustrated with my body and it's lack of "being able to do what it used to".
At the same time I have become a follower of Christ, which has given me the strength to keep going.  I have deepened my relationship with God, I have fought for a better marriage with my husband, I do my best to love my child unconditionally, I have surrounded myself with people that not only encourage me in my successes but correct me in love when I hurt them, or when I am hurting myself.  I am better able to love.
Today was an amazing day.  I worked, but all in all I woke up to a loving husband that teased and wished me a Happy Wednesday (his way of telling me that he remembered what today was).  I had amazing conversations with several of my friends about their lives and how they were doing, which good or bad always brings me joy.  I was encouraged by a friend at work through email who is a survivor of a different chronic disease that I inspired her because I was so open with my feelings. 
I went to church and stood up to share the good news of today and my evangelist started my good news for me by sharing that it was good that I was back, how grateful I am that he noticed that I hadn't been there.  Then another person stood up to share good news and hers was to lift up a friend of mine Helen and I (Helen has cancer) because she saw us as examples as to how to be faithful to God in times of tribulation and suffering. 
I was so humbled, because any good that I show in my suffering is only because God has instilled it in me, only because he gave me a joyful heart that refuses to give up, only because he surrounded me with people who lift me up instead of knocking me down.
I am filled with gratitude at the end of this day just like all the other days of my life, because every day I wake up to a world where I am never alone.  God holds my hand, or has Eric or someone else do it for him.  That love is neverending and fills me up.
My relationships show me how I am doing in my relationship with God, and today I was encouraged to find out that I am doing better than I thought I was.
Today was an incredibly wonderful day.

James 1:17 - Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

What a gift this life is and though life will change and pain and suffering are a part of that, love will never change.
I love you all.

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment